Wednesday, 18 June 2014

20 Years Ago Today

Instead of my usual op shopped finds post, today called for a particularly personal post from me. I tend not to say a whole lot about my 'real' life on the blog, but we are celebrating a milestone that I just had to share.


On the 18th of June in 1994 I married the love of my life, my Captain.


I've known the Captain since I was 3, his sister was my big sisters best friend growing up, & we went to the same church. 
I had a revelation at the age of 14 that I would one day be his wife, & it wasn't until 4 years later that he asked me out. After one date I knew this was it.


We had 8 glorious months of dating before I became ill with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
If you are curious about M.E you can read about it here


He asked me to marry him even though our future was uncertain due to my illness



We had a sit down wedding because I couldn't stand for long



My dad married us, & the Captain wrote a song & sang it to me


It's a day filled with blurry memories, but it was the best decision I've ever made





After our wedding my M.E got worse & I spent most of the first decade of our marriage bedridden.
While the illness sucked, we always found great joy in one another & the simple things in life.




My health gradually improved after intense treatment with heavy duty antibiotics for chronic infections, & by my side always was the Captain







As I reflect on the past 20 years, we've faced enormous challenges with my health, & we still do as I spend many hours each day horizontal, with multiple medications to get me through an always variable chronic illness. 
We've faced many losses as a result, financially & in terms of lost dreams thus far like parenthood.
But through it all we have remained solid, committed, loving & supporting one another what ever comes our way. I am blessed to know whatever life brings, I have an incredible man by my side, cheering me on. 
My Captain you are the love of my life. I can't begin to explain the depth of my love for you.
Thank you for sharing the past 20 years with me. 
The laughter, the tears, the better times & the worse times. 
Happy Anniversary! Xx




16 comments:

  1. This was really such a beautiful post to read. Congratulations to both of you on you anniversary and here is to many more. What a great milestone to reach. You must both be so happy. And I must say too that you were such a beautiful bride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true love. You two are so cute together.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story. Truly a couple that was meant to be! Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary to you both, you look so happy together xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely story. Happy anniversary and many more to come xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary to you both! What a touching story. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to you both! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to you both. What a fabulous and inspiring story. Your Captain is a very handsome man, I can see why you snapped him up! Mr C and I are celebrating 26 years this year and we too have had to change due to major illness. Loved this sneeky peek into your world. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you already know that I think yo two are rockstars. So much love to you both. Happy anniversary. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun is was scrolling through and watching y'all change over 20 years time. :o)

    www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! That's a milestone worth celebrating. Here's to the next 20 years.

    I clicked through to your link regarding ME. Wowsers. That's a serious challenge. I am now even more in awe of your lovely outfit posts. In a similar position I think I would crawl into a hole and snarl at the world. And there you are, frocked up and smiling. I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a special journey...........congratulation......many many more years of happiness and love.
    Sending best wishes....Vanessa & Warren.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary, what a beautiful post. I didn't even realise you were ill you always radiate such happiness in your photos it must be because you are amazing and you have such a amazing man by your side.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am going to be honest, I am having a little weep right now. I am in absolute awe at your courageous journey, but I think the tears are dropping because your beautiful love, story spanning so many years is a touching and inspirational lesson for everyone. Congratulations, and my best wishes for you two for the rest of your lives together. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw! Through sickness and in health. How awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww, what a beautiful couple, I especially love the pic of you in your green ball dress and Nicole Kidman hair. A true love story.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!