Friday, 4 April 2014

Betty Blue

My gorgeous 82 year young friend Betty has just moved into a secure unit in a nursing home as she is deteriorating quite quickly with Alzheimers. Her memory is pretty bad now, but she is still a beautiful, positive & encouraging soul. Her only son has been sorting through her things preparing for the move & asked if I could sort through Betty's clothing. I ended up with a pile of frocks & cardigans, tops & skirts that she had sitting in her wardrobe. Many of her dresses were handmade, with Betty using two simple patterns with various fabric. This dress is one that she had made, & obviously not worn a lot. It had short sleeves which I removed because they were kind of restrictive. Some of my most treasured things have come from Betty (you can read more here), & now I have some dresses to wear in her honour as well. 








Outfit Details.....

Handmade dress - From Betty
Polka-dot belt - From another dress
Blue crystal brooch - One of Betty's
Blue enamel brooch - Etsy
Vintage bag - Endos op shop
Vintage bracelet - Second hand shed
Ring, shoes & sunglasses - Retail




Here's a pic of Betty & I from a few weeks ago. She didn't have all her teeth in that day. Bless!
She's a treasure!

15 comments:

  1. What a fabulous dress, I bet Betty loves to see you wearing and getting so much pleasure from her clothes and it must be a huge help to her son, too. I know just how daunting it is.
    You can see what a wonderfully warm person Betty is, look at that smile! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well ... I think Betty has chosen her friends well ... you certainly do her proud !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow the colours in the dress and the cut are gorgeous on you. The colours are similar to my maxi I was wearing when we caught up the other week. They're seriously smashing colours in you....love it. What a beautiful and special friendship you have with Betty. Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty's got fab taste in frocks that's for sure! You did very well to remove the sleeves, add that to your sewing skills list. The mix of blue and purple in the frock is simply spectacular and you look utterly radiant in those colours!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betty has great taste in clothes. That dress is gorgeous and fits you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous lady! I can't wait to see more Betty frocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw! Betty's dress looks amzing on you! She was obivously a pretty snazzy lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I love that dress. Betty is obviously a woman of discriminating taste with incredible sewing skills. You do justice to this dress, definitely. And Betty's smile lights up the room, teeth in or out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely to be able to wear Betty's dresses, that one is a real beauty. Gorgeous colours and print. I am sure she loves your visits, Leisa, it's such a sweet friendship that you have, and that her son appreciates your help with sorting out her stuff. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Betty is a truly special lady and so are you. I think it is wonderful that you have some of her clothes - the blue dress is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so sweet! I adore the dress you look beautiful, what a special relationship you share with Betty. She probably loves seeing you look so gorgeous in her frock. Friends till the end.
    Xxxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet relationship. Betty must be so happy that you look so beautiful in her dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leisa how grateful Betty would be to have such a beautiful friend in you.
    And giving her stunning wardrobe a second lease of life is amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Betty would be so so happy that her dresses have gone to such a beautiful lady....you look gorgeous.
    It's so hard seeing someone you love fall into the darkness. Sending much love v

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry to hear that Betty has to move into a nursing home, from your other blog posts I know you think the world of her. I'm sure she is thrilled that you are wearing some of her old things - the fabric is ABSOLUTELY beautiful xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!