Friday, 15 November 2013

Frock Friday at the California Design Exhibition




The Captain & I caught a ferry on the Brisbane River to the Art Gallery to see the California Design exhibition. We hadn't been to the art gallery for many years, so it was nice to be back, as I spent lots of time there in my teenage years.

Here's some info on the exhibition......
California Design 1930-1965: Living in a Modern Way' introduces Australian audiences to a broad spectrum of industrial, architectural, commercial, fashion and craft design from California.
 Pre and postwar Californian designers introduced numerous innovations to the design process, and exploited the availability of new materials such as moulded and shaped plywood, fibreglass, wire mesh and synthetic resins — materials and techniques, which, in many cases, grew out of the defence and aerospace industries and defined modern American material culture. Objects by the acclaimed designers Charles and Ray Eames, Henry Dreyfuss, Dorothy Wright Liebes and Raymond Loewy all feature, while the household names Levi Strauss and Mattel are profiled through displays of fashion and children’s toys.
 






Photos from the Citycat ferry on the Brisbane River
Below is the beautiful Brisbane Powerhouse



The Story Bridge












We departed the ferry at Southbank



And walked to the Art Gallery





Here are some things that caught my eye.....
Some 1960's jewellery


Glorious swimsuits





Artwork







Gorgeous clothing....I love that first blue swimsuit & matching skirt


Arthur Espenet Carpenter rib chair from 1968


Eames designs



A lounge room to die for








While we were having lunch we met this prehistoric lizard. It was HUGE, & so tame.







The photos below will only mean something to Australian readers. They were filming for the upcoming series of My Kitchen Rules. I must say Manu was much friendlier with the crowd then Pete.














Outfit Details........

1960's David Jones frock - Vintage Wishes
Green necklace - Gift from my darling Squirrel
Yellow brooch worn as pendant - Ebay
Various vintage bangles - Op shopped
Scarf worn as headband - Gift from funky hippy mumma Trudie
Enamel flower brooch - Etsy
Two citrine rings - Op shopped
Fossil bag - Op shopped
Green sandals - Retail
Sunglasses - Ray Bans



10 comments:

  1. Your outfit is GORGEOUS! That dress! And my oh y, do I want everything in these pictures! What a dream exhibition to go to! I went to the 50s one at the museum about 6 months ago and was just in love with everything, but this one looks even more spectacular! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the Airstream, those vintage swimsuits and your gorgeous dress and sandals! What a great exhibition! That lizard is a beauty! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely outfit... and those vintage swimsuits!? Love! Thanks for linking up for Passion For Fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a fabulous place love that cream 50's bikini and that white lamp with the wooden base such a neat design. You look gorgeous to love the colours of your dress and shoes just look at the beautiful blue sky and warm sunshine to ;-) Thank you for sharing I would love to have seen all that for myself, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous dress. Are you sure that lizard isn't a tuatara that accidentally slipped into your bag in Invercargill?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How totally gorgeous and Summery cool you look!
    What a great day out, I wish we'd get that exhibition, so much to dribble over!!!
    I slightly fancy Manu...........!!!
    XXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so gorgeous and summery!! Wjat a lovely day out. The ferry trip looked fab as did the exhibition. I'm sure you must have walked around saying ooh do you remember this and that, not including the prehistoric lizard here needless to say even though I feel like one most days!! I'm son pleased you went, what a lovely way to spend some time with the captain. Sending you much love sweetie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your dress. It's such a pretty print. The exhibition looks fabulous. I want that bikini with the lace-up sides. It's awesome. They play the Aussie version of My Kitchen Rules all the time on tv here but I can't say I've ever watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a bright and beautiful frock - and I love the green sandals too.
    So much to enjoy in the exhibition. Like you, I admire the jewellery and clothes. So many very stylish pieces, I'd love a browse around myself! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty frock, sunshine, lizard, art gallery AND a ride on a ferry - sounds like a good day out to me :D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!