Tuesday, 8 October 2013

Magical Mayfield

Mayfield Overflow....it's a modern minimalists nightmare, & a vintage lovers dream. After visiting Overflow (approx 90 minutes from Christchurch) for the first time last year, I knew we had to plan our traveling day around the opening hours. I even rang in advance to make sure they'd be open. I can easily spend 2 hours browsing here, & I feel like that's kind of rushed. On the day we were there it was 2 degrees outside & snow was collecting on the road about 15 minutes away. But despite the dismal weather I became all hot & flushed because of my excitement. Overflow is like stepping into a hoarders house. There are rooms crammed with all sorts of things. Something for all tastes I'm sure. Nothing is priced, so you take your items to the owner who decides on the spot what to charge. Some items are cheap, some reasonable, & some full blown retail. I didn't buy any clothing because the items I liked were a bit overpriced. But I came away with four things for $20, which was rather restrained of me in the end.



I loved this orange case that contained a record player, but we figured it would be a bit awkward to cart home with all of our other luggage. If I could fit things inside it it would have been a goer.









There's an entire wall dedicated to vintage fabric




Drawers & drawers full of hats


There are three rooms of clothing, this is just one

Tons of handbags



Another room of clothing


SQUEEING with excitement!


An entire room full of china














Here are the all important purchases.....


A deer plate for my bestie Miss J




The big & kitsch OBD (obligatory blogger deer)
$5 (that would cost SO much more here!)




A navy Rex handbag (Helga is the QUEEN of the Rex....so obviously!)




And lastly a navy hat. I was taken by the shape for some reason, even though I feel kind of silly wearing them.

Only a few more New Zealand posts to go....I promise!


19 comments:

  1. I was so disappointed they were closed when I was there - but I find shops which don't price their stuff very annoying!
    I love both your deer, and the hat too.
    You post as many Godzone posts as you like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always mean to visit Overflow but I usually forget when I'm down there. Your pictures are making me want to go. Look at all the handbags! I love your Rex handbag. You look great wearing the hat. I used to feel silly wearing hats too, but the more you wear them the easier it gets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had so much fun! I just adore that lovely blue hat x

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO.AM.DOING. an NZ trip next year! Hate things unpriced, but given the state of the place I can see why they don't bother. You were so restrained, how did you do it?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That place is totally my fave place to go second hand shopping because 99 per cent of their stuff is properly old. We always plan our drive down south around their openings and i have never, ever left empty handed. It sounds like you have had a marvellous trip x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crap this place is incredible, I want to go there now! If you come to Wellington I will take you to Dave White Gallery, its not as extensive as this but in the same spirit of complete chaos. Love the hat:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It makes our stores look so pitiful and so very expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sure is overflow. My heart was racing just watching. I don't think I would have coped knowing I couldn't take half of it home. They have so much stuff in there, all that fabric, hats, china, baskets, lampshades, oh oh oh! Love the bits you bought and I would love to wear that hat!! You look stunning in it so DO wear it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh I could spend daaaaaaays poking around in there!!! You look so gorgeous and happy and I love your treasures - wear the hat! Wear the hat! You look amazing in it!!

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really this looks like heaven for me! Wishing very much that I could rummage through it all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i just yelled out loud 'OH MY GOD!!!' at least 5 times reading that!!! frigging hell!!!! that's my heaven right there!!!! the fabric, the garden stuff (well the stuff outside that i would buy for my garden!!) the clothes, the china! how do i get inside my laptop!!!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a treasure trove! I can see how you could spend hours there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOOOOOHHHH! It's a cluttered heaven! I can just imagine how easy it would be to get lost in all that gorgeous vintage all day! I don't know if I'd find the non-pricing encouraging or off-putting though! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you kidding me with this place? I want to go right now! It's incredible and the hat you bought is gorgeous you better wear it ! What a treasure trove!
    Xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really need to o to the SI again.. and this place would def be on the itinerary! Looks amazing. I saw some amazing things I would slobber and drool for.. I wonder where they source it all?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahh next time I am in Canterbury I'm going to need to go there! Do you have any info about the opening hours or a contact number you could pass on to me?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh good grief, what an amazing treasure trove of a shop - you could have been lost in their for days! You were indeed restrained, but I am glad to see an OBD made it into your shopping basket! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I could go broke in a place like that. Love the navy blue hat!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to go there - I do, I need to. Not sure how I would deal with the no pricing thing, though because I am really stingy. You found some beautiful treasure, the OBD ofcourse, and the hat is so you, and the handbag matches!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!