Friday, 27 September 2013

Southland Style, Frock Friday & Finds

Continuing on our New Zealand adventures........After spending 5 nights in Dunedin, we journeyed to the southern town of Invercargill for the first time. We were keen to drive along the Catlins, a scenic coastal route & to visit the Nugget Point Lighthouse. We stopped in at the Milton on the way where I picked up two old cameras at the hospice op shop. I asked how much, & the lady said, whatever I wanted to pay! I also bought a 1940's Japanese made bird ornament from one of the Antique Stores. Of course I had to get my photo taken in front of the Squirrels new abode too.


Milton Salvation Army store


The new nest for Two Squirrels Vintage


Quintessential  sheep along the road to Nugget Point 





It was quite a walk to the Lighthouse, I didn't make it the whole way because I had to make sure my legs could carry me back, but I was pretty pleased with how far I got.
There are lots of picturesque lookouts along the Catlins, like Florence Hill lookout below.


My main reason for going all the way to Invercargill was to visit the op shops....we all know my priorities! There are around 20? op shops in the area, but I must have been there on an off week, because there wasn't much to tempt me, especially when it comes to vintage clothing.
My favourite op shops in Invercargill would be the Salvation Army store on Yarrow Street, the Hospice shop on Yarrow Street, and the Orphans Aid op shop on Spey Street. These op shops are big, & have lots of potential.


The antique store 'Hubbers Emporium' is packed full of treasures in the centre of town.


We explored Queens Park on a cold morning. I was so happy feeling the brisk air on my face & talking to the birds.











Outfit Details.....

Green vintage dress - Shop on Carroll Dunedin
Orange coat - Retail from Target
Green beanie - Hand knitted op shop find
Scarf, gloves, tights & boots - Retail
Fossil bag - Endos op shop
Sunnies - Ray Bans


I met some feathered friends at the bird enclosure in Queens Park
Fantastic and it's FREE!
And I found my dream house in the seaside town of Riverton



We travelled through Gore on our way to Queenstown


The cafe we stopped at had a lovely vintage display of mirrors & coffee sets




The Flemings "Creamoata Mill" is an iconic local building which was a rolled oats factory until 2008





Gore has two op shops, a Salvos & the Hospice Shop....no frocks to be found, do they not wear frocks down South?



We had a Jimmy's Pie at Roxburgh, & a look at the only remaining op shop. My favourite Rox op shop had closed about 6 months before....Boo


And here are my purchases along the way.......


2 vintage cameras & 1940's ornament from Milton



An Air New Zealand Junior Jets bag for $4.....the Captain loving all things aeronautical was pleased by this find!
Orphans Aid op shop
Invercargill


70's folding bag just like one my Mum had
50cents Hospice shop
Invercargill
 

A couple of sweet saucers from a freebie bin
A bit crazed but I don't care
A little church oppy in Invercargill


Orange & green beads, because I don't have any orange AND green beads!
Invercargill Salvos


Old red carved bangle
Savemart Invercargill


A card box for my jewellery finds
$1 at Salvos
Invercargill


Brand new Fossil bag with tags
$5 Salvos
Invercargill


Wood & porcelain pendant from a church op shop
Invercargill


Dancing lady bracelet
Hospice op shop
Invercargill


An unexpected find at the Hospice shop in Gore....bird brooch with green bling!
The catch indicates it's quite old.
So me!

16 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are having a great time! You've taken some really great pictures and your dream house in the town of Riverton is just beautiful! I wouldn't mind living there myself. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bird brooch certainly is "you"! New Zealand looks so picturesque... I think I am going to have to make it down there some day. All your pictures are so beautiful, and I'm sure I would have to love any town that houses around 20 op shops! Sounds like the perfect place to me! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I have a scarf ring and clip on earrings AND a brooch/pendant with the dancing girl on!!! The scarf ring isn't an exact match to the earrings and brooch/pendant, it's made of something lighter...SNAP!
    I have heard that Invervegas was good for opshopping...like any opshop, you just have to be regular! Bummer you didn't score well, but as you say, you made up for it in the North Island. I really must get my arse on down there sometime!!!
    Love that pic of you walking, love you, you and the Captain are the sweetest!!! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm loving everything you found!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those lighthouse shots are perfect almost as perfect as all the brilliant goodies you found.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow great pics...the ocean looks amazing....loving all those finds....I love the way you plan a holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my New Zealand is so so beautiful!! I mean I knew it was, but seeing these photos have just bought it home to me. You did so well walking that distance, well done you!! I really hope that one day I will get there. Had to walk from the carpark to the opticians this week and it has completely wiped me! Your outfit is fab, love the scarf and the cap!! Those mirrors, oh oh oh, give me breath! Needless to say, I am sure you know by now that I am completely mirror mad. Love all your bits you got and the pic of you and the captain holding hands, so sweet! LOOvely pics, so enjoyed seeing another bit of your hols! Much love xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew I recognised that dancer on the bracelet, Helga's got one! What fab photos and I love seeing uou all snug and cosy in orange and green! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am almost stuttering with excitement - your finds in the Southland leg of your journey are nothing short of spectacular. The Fossil bag for a start -with tags!!! I have two of those carved bangles - I got mine from Savemart Dunedin (LOL we are twins now). The cute little bird ornament is so sweet, and the brooch with the green stones. Now, what about you in your snuggley coat with those cute hats. Queens Park looks just as I remember it, and Nugget Point is surely one of the most beautiful places. I love this post I think its one of my favourite ever! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photos! And I love your polka-dotted hat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just trawled through your last posts - I feel like I've had a little trek of my own through the lower South! How fabulous - all those meet ups and those scores!
    LOVE the Catlins. We spent a lot of time there on our honeymoon .. we op shopped and beetled our way round the South Island in 3 or 4 weeks. Such bliss!

    LOVE that wall of mirrors!
    Love all your scores. Especially the card box and the birdies..
    I wonder if SI op shops are still as cheap as they used to be. They were always noticeably cheaper..

    ReplyDelete
  12. woo! So much going on! Great thrifting finds and I love your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many big op shops, so little treasure. Your skin looks so much better in the cold-but i'd say you know that already!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What beautiful photos of the stunning scenery, Leisa! I can tell how happy you are to be there in the brisk fresh air, keeping cosy in your hat and coat!
    Gorgeous treasures - yes, the wee birdie brooch is perfectly you, the folding bag is fab, and the little J&G Meakin saucer with the Beefeater is fabulous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh the wood and porcelain pendent is lovely. So digging the orange and green, but I bet that doesn't surprise you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ok i have just got to go! it looks amazing! x

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!