Monday, 29 July 2013

Like a Moth to a Flame

I do love a bit of Sarah Coventry jewellery. I found this "Three Cheers" red, white & blue pendant which is from 1973. One of the plastic beads had come off so the lady at Vinnies gave it to me for free!

Here's a little history on Sarah Coventry jewellery....
Sarah Coventry jewellery was named after the granddaughter of Lyman K. Stuart, the founder of the company. Established in 1949, it is recognized as the oldest direct selling jewelry company in the world. They did not design their own jewelry but used other manufacturers to produce their jewellery. Most of the production happened in the state of Rhode Island.




I was drawn to this odd horse & chariot brooch/pendant in gold with mother of pearl. It's quite a large statement piece.
Salvos



Some dark green & black beads for $3. I'm not sure if it's bakelite, but someone is selling the exact same one as bakelite on Etsy for $160.
Lifeline


 Blue & white beads
Vinnies
And an Erstwilder brooch on sale for half price from the Collective Store


And naturally one needs somewhere to store all the bling....


Japanese made musical jewellery box
It was the green that got me!
Vinnies


15 comments:

  1. You always find such great jewellery. I love the horse and chariot brooch/necklace. If you want to know if the green necklace is bakelite rub it until it's a bit warm and sniff. If it smells like formaldehyde, it's bakelite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great selection of jewellery - you have a really good eye for necklaces. I like the green one and the one with the chariot pendant. I just bought one like it with a Cleopatra - look-a-like on it. The box is beautiful, but is it big enough?? xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay the jewellery box is wonderful and perfect for all the gorgeous treasures you find.........a very good little moth to a flame.
    Oh I was going to tell you the rub test for Bakelite but I see Brodie has already told you, yay.
    Happiness to you sweet......love V

    ReplyDelete
  4. Accessories are ALWAYS my weakness and you have some seriously sweet finds here. I love that wee dear brooch - adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely collection. I honestly don't know how you do this, but you always have the most amazing bits. Live the erstwilder xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gawwwwwwwd that jewellery box is completely gorgeous and it's nice to know more about SC jewellery. I love how they often make brooch/pendants ... so special:). I do hope the green and black necklace turns out to be a big score! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely pieces! The horse and chariot one is so unusual xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I do love me some Sarah Coventry pieces too. I love the blue, white and red pendant. Celia has a great post in her archives if you pop on over and do a search on several ways of indentifying Bakelite, if that helps any.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grunge Queen has that pendant and I've often admired it on her! It's fab, can't beat the classic red, white and blue combo! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do have a knack of rooting out fabulous jewellery, Leisa! I love a bit of Sarah Coventry too, that pendant is wonderful, as is the chariot pendant/brooch. Celia told me the Bakelite tip, and I think if it smells of camphor/mothballs when you wet it, that means it's celluloid. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never heard of this Sarah Coventry, but O MY I love that pendant! It's fabularse! I also love the statement horse and chariot brooch/pendant. I'm always excited to find a combination brooch/pendant. Great scores, my sweet, and imagine if that IS bakelite?! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Sarah Coventry and have several vintage pieces, mostly necklaces. I almost never look in the jewelry cases at the thrifts. May have to change that now!

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that pendant, looks like you managed to fix it. I love it all, though I think the jewellery box is my favourite

    ReplyDelete
  14. We will have to hold a deer competition - I can't wait to photograph my latest finds when I get back from my travels in the northern swamplands! (You will probably win though.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome finds. The chariot one is way cool!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!