Monday, 22 April 2013

Carnival Glass & Enamel Joy


I found my first piece of carnival glass at Salvos for $6. I figured it would look good as a jewellery holder. I'll buy just about anything with the excuse that it'll make a good jewellery holder.
Carnival glass is moulded or pressed glass with a pattern and always with a shiny, metallic, iridescent surface shimmer. *See below for the Wikipedia info*
This particular piece is an Indiana Pattern number 77 known by a variety of different names. King’s Crown, Crown, Thumbprint, Early American Crown and Thumbprint.




I'm using it to hold my enamel brooch collection, which I have added to recently with a couple of Etsy purchases. 




And I scored this necklace during the Each to Own sale.
When Kirst has a sale things get kinda crazy...but her jewellery is worth fighting for!

*And for more info on Carnival Glass......

"The keys to its appeal were that it looked superficially like the very much finer and very much more expensive blown iridescent glass by Tiffany, Loetz and others and also that the cheerful bright finish caught the light even in dark corners of the home.
Both functional and ornamental objects were produced in the carnival finish and patterns ranged from simple through geometric and 'cut' styles to pictorial and figurative. A wide range of colours and colour combinations were used but the most common colours accounted for a large proportion of output, so scarce colours can today command very high prices on the collector market.
Carnival glass has been known by many other names in the past: aurora glass, dope glass, rainbow glass, taffeta glass, and disparagingly as 'poor man's Tiffany'. Its current name was adopted by collectors in the 1950s from the fact that it was sometimes given as prizes at carnivals, fetes & fairgrounds. However, that can be misleading as people tend to think that all of it was distributed in this way but evidence suggests that the vast majority of it was purchased [1] by the housewife to brighten up the home at a time when only the well off could afford bright electric lighting.
Some carnival glass is still produced today although in very small quantities. At the height of its popularity in the 1920s huge volumes were produced and prices were low enough for the ordinary home to afford.
Starting at the beginning of the 20th Century Carnival Glass was eventually produced on every continent except Africa and Antarctica but largely and initially in the U.S.. All the major European glass making centres except Italy produced some and it was very popular in Australia.
Carnival glass gets its iridescent sheen from the application of metallic salts while the glass is still hot from the pressing. A final firing of the glass brings out the iridescent properties of the salts, giving carnival glass the distinct shine it is known for."

14 comments:

  1. Ooh that is a beauty! And you know I cannot resist an enamel floral brooch -and they are both GORGEOUS!!!

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really see carnival glass around but it's rather fab isn't it? it looks great in your house perfect for keeping those pretty brooches in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen carnival glass before - thanks for the education. I LOVE enamel flower brooches.. I only have a couple - I must keep my eyes open.. LOVe your ones. Awesome. (drool)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Which magical, cheap slvos do you go to missy? Around here you'd be hard pressed to get that under $20!!! What a top find :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I brilliant idea - I must steal it! I have a few clear glass stemmed sweet holders which will do the trick until I find a carnival glass one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore carnival glass, in fact it was the last thing I got from a charity shop, someone had donated their whole collection it seemed, but the quality of some pieces was lacking, so I picked the nicest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all your enamel jewellery. The red and blue one is especially lovely. I have never heard of carnival glass before. Maybe you don't get it here? It looks perfect to hold your jewellery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a find. I've never come across carnival glass in my thrifting journeys. Well played my sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was at an auction on the weekend, there were a few pieces of Carnival Glass, it went for dirt cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is always good to hear about the history of an item I didn't know about Carnival ware so its been good see your new purchase which is lovely, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carnival glass is fantastic. Love your jewelry finds!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am always on the look out for both gorgeous vintage glassware and enamel brooches, so I am a little envious of your treasures, Leisa! Beautiful. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Carnival glass is so expensive to buy here, so many people collect it. My friends mum has a huge collection.
    I love that you are going to use it for jewelry sweet.
    The enamel brooches are totally amazing. I can't wait to see you wear them.
    love V
    PS I am super excited about the trip over to NZ. I have popped the date into my diary......YAY YAY YAY!!!!
    Sweet my email address is: twosquirrelsvinatge@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the carnival glass is immense! i love the flower brooches, i used to have a few back in my teens when i wore vintage gear 24/7 gutted i have no idea what i did with them!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!