Monday, 11 March 2013

A What-Not?

I love shadow boxes. I love having a little shelf to put my nic-nacs on. I saw the potential in this old shelf from the Vinnies store at Paddington. The Captain (Mr P) wasn't convinced...it was covered in an inch of dust. Once it was cleaned up & hung on a spare bit of wall above "his" side of the bed, he could see it's nic-nac what-not beauty. I love it's carved detail & the brass pillars.


Vintage shelf thingo $7 
(along with op shopped nic-nacs)
Vinnies


And speaking of what-nots, I picked up this 1960's home decorating book from Lifeline, & I was delighted to find a description of my favourite little shelfy doodad thingos included.



Proof for my hubby that I didn't make up the term 'what-not'!


My gorgeous friend Kel of You Got That At An Op Shop?!  sent me this original set of fondue forks to match my recently acquired fondue set. I love the 1970's packaging.....thanks Lovely Kel! You are a treasure! Xx
 

15 comments:

  1. That is a sweet what-not! I never doubted you, darling! I KNEW you knew what you were talking about! I'd love a good gander at that book, actually! And SQUEE to the new fondue forks!
    i really need a new fondue set. Too many nude fondue nights killed ours......XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, $7! That's a real bargain and it looks great with the nic-nacs. The bottom bird is gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha - at work I always refer to "thinks and stuff" which is much along the lines of a what-not ;) I love that wee shelf and the fondue forks are awesome. I sense a fondue party in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE what-nots, they're perfect for tucking away all those wee treasures that would otherwise "disappear" on a normal shelf. I love all these wee peeks into your lovely home my lovely. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, seven dollars for that knick knack box? That's an amazing deal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all need a what-not for our nic-nacs!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard of the term what-not, usually a Victorian or Edwardian what-not. Yours is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wahoo those forks are awesome in that box!!
    What-not! That looks like a great read..
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh its the most prefect "What-not", look at all the cute things you have on it.
    Sending much love from "St Biddies" who would love you to come visit when you are over.
    love V

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I think you have the cutest what-not I have ever seen, with the most lovely knick-knacks. The Interior decorating magazine looks like a real treasure trove of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous what-not! I have a feeling that visiting your house would be quite the experience with all your gorgeous antiques and nic nacs :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that term " what not" it makes you smile as does your lovely shelf. It looks fab with all your things on it. I to love vintage packaging the 70's is some of the best. dee x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your What-Not, it's pretty flash for $7. Is that the store with the costumes upstairs, it's a fun shop to explore - Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What-nots for knick-knacks - tell your husband it's The Law! And doesn't it look great, all cleaned up and with beautiful objects on it? Good call, Leisa! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What nots are an essential purchase for knick knack collectors like us. And shadow boxes too! Great find! Xx

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!