Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Race for Treasures

My bestie Jess has a thing for old chairs. She always seems to be bringing another chair home. I laughed when I saw her sitting in this one in Salvos. I knew that meant one thing. The base was in really good nick, & I'm sure it will look fab when she's done with her grand plans to recover it.


I love op shopping with Jess, (we started op shopping together back in 1989!) but the only problem is that we are drawn to the same things. So often one of us picks something up & the other says, "if you don't buy that I will!" She beat me to the linen section in Salvos the other day, while I was distracted by the frocks, & she scored this beautiful Queen bed sheet in the original packaging for $4. I have never come across vintage sheets in original packaging before in an op shop, so I was a wee bit green with envy over these!


I happened to be driving past a garage sale the other day, & I found this mini esky for $1. Here in Brissy we travel everywhere with water on hand in the car, & a bottle of iced tea as well, because you need to keep your fluids up in our Aussie heat. Especially with the temps hitting 40 degrees in the last week!


 I also picked up this crusty tool box for $2




A lovely old hard cover book called 'Successful Dressmaking' with instructions on basic & more advanced sewing, which will hopefully help me refresh my sewing skills.




A pair of green embroidered pillow slips.


And here's a sneak peak at a few old frocks I found this past week......



11 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Looks very, very similar to a lounge suite my family had when I was a kid. Had a 3 seater and the 2 single chairs..must fish out the pics. Mum also had an esky- a bit bigger, but in exactly the same red tartan. If only my folks kept some of these things! lol. C x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds - love the orange chair!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving that chair and your bed looks fabulous with all your pretties on it.
    I wish you lot would stop talking about those temperatures, I have to fly half way around the world to get some warmth! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the chair and the sheet, but your finds are delightful too, Leisa! My main charity shopping buddy likes completely different stuff to me, which makes us a good team, no fighting! Your sewing book looks fabulous, love those illustrations, and I am looking forward to seeing your frocks! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the chair and the linen and oh my god YOUR BED IS GORGEOUS!!! Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the tool box! I love turning old rusty things into planters – one of my finest moments was finding a vintage wash tub on the side of the road one day LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, 40 degrees. I was complaining when we had a 31 degree day yesterday. Old dressmaking books are the best. I love the sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great buys im not surprised your green with envy over that vintage sheet its gorgeous. So is the chair be great to see that covered. dee x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blimey! You find so much stuff, I love it all, especially the chair. If I had my own place I'd fill it with chairs. Also love the tartan.cool box!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hehe, I love the title post; you gals really do race for the treasure first! It's great that you two share the same tastes, makes shopping together much more fun and you have a fellow thrifter who truly appreciates your finds. I have never come across a vintage queen sheet ever (which is what I need!) so I am holding the faith that I will come across one, one day! Kxx

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!