Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Feeling a bit Saucy

My dear Nana Doreen had a lovely white metal outdoor set. I remember it fondly. It had the coolest saucer chairs with padded seats in orange floral vinyl. I was horrified to find out my Dad had chopped up the chairs so that he could toss them in the bin! These things always seem to happen in my family. My mum sold a beautiful beveled edge antique mirror at a car boot sale for $5, & my Dad sold his gorgeous 1950's Morris car for a grand total of $200. It seems you have to make your claim quick in my family, or the item maybe disposed of! At least they didn't get rid of the original table.

Anyway lately I have been obsessed with finding an outdoor set like the one my Nana had & after much searching I stumbled across a listing on Ebay for 2 white saucer chairs. And it was buy it now, so I did. I paid $50 for the pair which seemed like a good deal, as the sets have been selling for over $200 on Ebay & for double that in the vintage stores. Kitty had a lovely set for sale here at the WAC. I am so happy to cross something else off my vintage wish list. I think the lesson here is to keep on waiting for the right thing to come your way at the right time. Now if only my dream sideboard would appear next!


Please excuse the umbrella base in the photo.





I have to admit mine aren't as pretty as Kitty's. Isn't it amazing what some fresh powder-coating can do!


18 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous set! I hate when I found out people have thrown out or sold items I'd love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Urgh, your family sounds like mine, you can barely get anything in the door before my mum wants to throw things out.
    Great score on the chairs!!! That powder coating is mighty expensive to have done but wow the result really is outstanding.
    You're so right about biding your time and waiting, a similar thing just happened to me with my red couch even tho I wasn't really looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are beautiful, I was so lucky because my Dad was going to chuck out his old record player so I grabbed it of his Vinnie's pile and it's now mine hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those chairs are absolutely gorgeous - nice score! Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love and adore your chairs. Wish they were mine in fact x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful and patient score.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are gorgeous, well done on finding them! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are very nice indeed. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope to come and sit in them and have a cuppa with you and Mr.P some time soon!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a fabulous set, it just says come sit and soak up the sun. It will be perfect for summer.
    Just love another tick on the old vintage list!!!! yay!!!!!
    Love v

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! Do you think you'll get some funky cushions for them too?

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are fabulous. I love the shape of the chairs. Crossing things off your vintage wishlist is a great feeling, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are really nice and look comfy and such a great price. Infact, I much prefer your to the later ones. T x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hurrah, they're great. I'm so pleased you found a set like your Nana's, so much of my Nana's stuff was thrown out when she died, it's so sad

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your new outdoor set is heavenly!And gasping for a jug of cocktails,I suspect!!!
    You're going to be in Christchurch?? Would love to take you to Retropolitan! And maybe a coffee after?

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squeeee!!!! Yes I would love to go to Retropolitan with you, & for coffee of course! That would be wonderful. I'll send you an email with details but we will be in Christchurch from the 6th to the 8th of Sept. We could meet on the Saturday (8th) morning before we leave if that's best for you. Xx

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!