Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Vintage Togs & Other Finds

I visited a newly opened church run op shop in my suburb. I picked up an outfit for my Mum, but I was most thrilled with finding my first vintage swimsuit...or togs as us Aussies like to call them. I was drawn to the lovely fabric in amazing condition, but I wasn't so sure it would actually be wearable. Anyhoo I got it home & tried it on & it was a perfect fit, with gathers in the right places to hide my little tummy rolls, & the lower cut legs are actually more flattering on my thighs then regular swim pants. There is mesh on the inside with a lacey bra bit for the booboids. The sweet old man in the op shop thought these were new, but when I showed him the vintage detailing on the inside he blushed as if he'd seen some sort of secret women's business. I won't be modelling these on the blog....I would hate to permanently blind those who read this!


'Genevieve' vintage swimsuit for $4.


With Elastomeric Lycra....so cutting edge!



A velvet 'Goldcrest' bag made in New South Wales for $1.




A strange old blue kitty salt shaker. I'm a crazy bird lady so I'm not sure what I'm doing buying cat ornaments! It must be the influence of you cat loving bloggers out there!



An original Holly Hobby plaque 50cents.



 Mr P wondered why on earth I'd brought this ugly old bag home with me. But it was only $1...& I might use it one day????

21 comments:

  1. Oh la la .... those vintage togs are to die for! The velvet purse too! Great Finds x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those togs are fabulous. I love the print. That purse is pretty too. Aw, you made him blush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous of those bathers I dream of finding some vintage ones. That velvet purse is gorgeous and that bag isn't ugly at all it's mustard!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I love that bathing suit, it is rather delightful. (*lol about the man thinking he saw secret lady business*) "That's funny"
    That bag you got is so pretty and sweet GOSH You found some great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the ugly old bag it's gorgeous and I had a Holly Hobby plaque just like that when growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the bathers and the bag is sumptuous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything you found, hurrah for vintage togs - my dad last went to Australia 30 years ago and still calls them that. And he used to say Thongs too! I was also there, but as a foetus. nice.
    Thanks for pointing out Holly Hobby, I had a sort of 3D plaque of her as Little Miss Muffet and didn't remember what she was called

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your vintage swimmers were a fantastic find! Never find anything vintage in the way of clothing down this way.

    p.s. I don't think I have heard anyone call swimmers togs since maybe the 80's :)

    Enjoy your week, T x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, this old bag likes your old bag, so you can tell your Mr he's wrong and it's not ugly at all!
    I thought togs just meant clothes in general - I think it does in the UK, as in "all togged up". But I will adopt it as a term for a swimming cossie, I like it! I am learning all sorts of international terminology from you blogging ladies!
    Anyway - whatever it's called, it's delightful. So is that little floral bag and the cute kitty (who will chase all your birds, so watch him!) xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great vintage bathing suit! It can be so hard to find good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a big fan of those old vinyl holdalls, they're great for camping and cramming with stuff.
    That swimming cossie is fab, how funny you calling it "togs", I like that word, it's new to me! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving those bags, especially the "ugly" one., Love mustard bags.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great finds - love the little Holly Hobby thingy!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love those togs! We call them togs here in NZ too :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. The bag is amazing!! I have one similar in light blue,and it's perfect for overnight stays away fromhome, going to the beach etc. Embrace the mustardness!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't honestly decide which find I'm more envious of, the tan $1 bag or the swimsuit, both are just gorgeous!

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hhahahah my husband is the same - I bring things home all the time he doesn't understand, now he doesn't even say anything. I have a blue one of those "bowler" bags. I have been using it for about 6 months now. Great score.
    Mxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Good for you on all the thrift/flea finds !! I have a bag just like that only mine is bright ORANGE and I believe mine was used to hold bowling ball and shoes! Could yours have been made for that purpose I wonder? I cannot see the sides and depth or I could tell you for sure. Enjoy your wonderful finds and thanks for sharing ! Kim

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!