Thursday, 29 March 2012

Fat Boy & Sairy Gamp

These Royal Doulton napkin rings were passed down to me from my Grandma. Tam from A Treasured Past noticed them in a photo on a recent post, & said they were worth a lot of money (thanks for the tip Tam!). I was thinking that meant $50 or something. I did an online search & was pretty pleased to find that each napkin ring is worth $750-1000 US. I always thought they were pretty ugly, but I must say I like them a lot more now. But I feel a wee bit nervous about having them on display!





This character is called 'Fat Boy' created in 1935-36.
 Another wonderful Dickens character, Joe, the Fat Boy, was the lazy glutton who worked as servant to Mr.. Wardle in "The Pickwick Papers."


This character is called 'Sairy Gamp' & was created in 1935-39.
In Charles Dickens' 1843 novel, "Martin Chuzzlewit'" Sairey Gamp is a gossiping, gin-drinking midwife and nurse. 


13 comments:

  1. They are quite adorable Meg x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how their new price tag makes them much more attractive haha! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely that they are a treasured reminder of your Grandma. Are you going to keep them on the shelf?

    Thanks for the link. Years of collecting certainly pays off. Tam x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I guess you never really know what may be worth something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They always say its the ugly or plain things that are worth the money ;-) These are quite cute really. dee x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I would never have guessed!!! Very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're fantastic, but I would also feel a bit paranoid about having them where they could be knocked or chipped. I tend to hide such things from my parents as they're horrors for that. They've broken so many precious china and glass objects! Thank you for your kind words on my blog, it was lovely and very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very unusual!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I keep hoping that I'll find something like that, too. Take care, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet memento of your Grandma! Their little faces look so realistic.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. *EEEAPP* I would be keeping those in the safety of a China cabinet.
    After finding out what they are worth I would be scared they would get chipped or broken. lol

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!