Thursday, 12 January 2012

Op Shop Regrets

I thought it was time to get something off my chest for good. During my past couple of years op shopping I have had a few regrets. Regrets over the things I've left behind. It's one of those things that remains hidden in the corner of my mind, & as much as I try to forget, I am reminded of the one that got away. Are there things that you really regret not buying?

I saw the cutest kitsch coffee pot set with a sugar bowl & milk jug by the English maker Sadler at one of my local op shops. For some strange reason I only bought the bowl & jug for $2, & I left the coffee pot behind. My reasoning was that I didn't need another teapot, & I was trying to resist buying more china because I am running out of display space. I got home & Googled the brand Sadler to try to find out more about the design, & as soon as I did I got back in the car & drove to the op shop hoping to find the coffee pot waiting for me, but alas within half an hour the pot had gone. BooHoo. It was priced at $8, & I have only seen one since at an antique shop for $70. It's one of those missed purchases I will never forget, & I will forever more have my eyes peeled for another one just like it.




10 comments:

  1. Of course there are regrets, don't we all have them. I've seen that pattern around at one the op shops on the GC I had no idea of the value, I'll keep my eyes out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pattern is beautiful!! Shame about the teapot :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the print on the sides. I hate having those regrets they just keep nagging in the back of your mind. You never no your luck in the big city though so dont give up on your teapot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My motto is NEVER leave anything behind! PS You might want to check out my blog...there is a big surprise waiting there for you!
    Love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That always happens to me I go back and it's gone. I regret not buying a petticoat before I really got in to vintage. Maybe one day you will find a match.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep hate those regrets of which I have many.Least you know to always buy Sadler now tho lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I too have regrets over the ones that got away... but there are always other treasures to find. The pattern on that set IS adorable. I'll keep a look out! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes and yes, I've even had trouble sleeping over things I've left behind... if only I'd know at the time etc etc. Don't worry, what you've got is amazing and you'll find more amazing things out there x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh sweet they are your mind treaures, always there but never to be seen by anyone. But it's like the fishing stories we share as vintage/ op shop hunters "THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY". love V
    Ps I have on a vintage bird girl dress to day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe I too just recently left some Sadler stuff behind? I saw a little sugar bowl and coffee cup (hot orange and turquoise) and I took a photo cause I thought they were cute, to upload on the blog. And I thought at $1 each "that's pretty cool". And then went back to work. And all night I tossed and turned over them and vowed to go back to the little op shop that morning to get them. And I did, and they were gone :( But then that night I dreamt about them, and that I was able to get them. So by sheer persistence I went back to the oppie, looked where they were when I had my dream and saw they weren't there... was just about to leave when I saw that the ladies had rearranged the shop somewhat - into colours - so I SPRINTED over to the 'orange' section and there they were - halo'ed by golden light and ready for a life with me..... I've got a piccie on the Facebook page under the August Thrifting album if you're keen to check them out...although I completely understand if it is far too painful.... haha xxxo

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!