Thursday, 26 January 2012

Black Beauties

I'm afraid this week is all quiet on the blogging front. I have had a bad week health wise (due to my chronic illness not playing so nice), & the loss of yet another friend yesterday who has been battling cancer for some time. So now we have two funerals to attend with Michelle's on Friday & Handley's on Saturday. As a result I haven't left the house this week for any thrifting adventures. Mr P & I head off for 3 weeks holiday in a weeks time. Hopefully this rain deluge will have passed by the time we hit the Sunshine Coast. I love the rain but not so much when I'm at the beach. We are so looking forward to a relaxing break. Anyhoo back to some vintage beauties.....

I have always loved those really old glass crystal cut beads & I keep my eyes peeled for them during my op shop trawls. I first found the short jet black beads, & sometime later discovered next medium length beads, & finally the long black carnival glass beads which also have different colours that shine at different angles. It's long enough to double around my neck & wear as a double choker as well. I paid $3 for each of them, & I know the long strand would sell for a lot at a retail antique shop. They are still stung on the original wire & they have a makers stamp on the clasp. I wonder who's neck they graced before mine? Wouldn't it be fun if our vintage items could tell us the story of their journey through the world & into our lives.


                              The short.                                     

 Medium


 And long. 

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so sorry to hear you have not been feeling well and that you have had more sad news. Things are really not going very well for you. I also wonder about the previous owners of items I buy - your necklaces are beautiful. Would you wear them to a funeral? I find dressing for funerals really difficult. Thinking about you, and sending good wishes, Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending lots of bloggy love your way, you have had a tough week! The beads are gorgeous and I'm totally lovin the fabric too!

    Dee xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, you changed your comment for mat, good one :) hope you have a nice break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you're not feeling well and also dealing with the loss of another person dear to you. Much love being sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear you've had a rough week. That long black one is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! sorry to hear of your recent sadness and hope the future holiday is spectacular. Those beads are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, hope you will soon feel better and brighter. You've got some difficult stuff to deal with right now. But your beads are beautiful. I often wonder about the history of the vintage treasures I find, and love things which have a story behind them. xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really sorry to hear about your friends and sorry to hear that you've not been feeling too good. Hugs. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you hon. A difficult time and I hope you are feeling stronger again soon my dear friend. Hugs to you.( Yay I got my internet back ;P) C xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so, so sorry to hear about the losses of two friends, that is so heartbreaking for you xxx I hope your holiday soon will help take your mind off it a little.xx BLV

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!